Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day Cuisine

So, being the dork that I am, I decided it would be super cute to make heart themed food for Valentine's Day. My husband now thinks I am a nutcase, but the kids thought I was the coolest mom ever!

Rise and Shine with cranberry scones -cut with heart cookie cutters, of course.

These were delicious hot out of the oven with some jam. Mmm Mmm! Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the kids with jam all over their faces...


We weren't home for lunch so I skipped that one. Now on to the main event! Dinner was heart-shaped pizzas. I used my favorite dough recipe -super easy by very tasty:
Combine and set aside: 2 c warm water, 2 tsp sugar, 4 tbsp yeast
Mix: 4 c (or more) flour, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 4 tbsp oil.
Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Knead, adding flour (or oil) if needed. Cover with clean towel and let rise about an hour (I sometimes do less if in a hurry). Roll out on floured surface. Put on greased pans. Add sauce, toppings and cheese. Bake 375F 15-20 minutes. Although on my oven, I usually up the temp to 400F or 425F.
For my sauce I just use tomato paste and add enough water until it's the consistency I like. Then I add some salt, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, and oregano to taste. Takes a bit of extra time, but, hey, I'm too cheap to always buy the real pizza sauce.

Oven ready


And voila!


We also had caesar salad with.... drum roll please... heart-shaped croutons!

Combine:
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch thyme
pinch garlic powder (or to taste)
salt and pepper

Cut heart shapes (or boring old cubes if you are lame) out of bread with small cookie cutters.

Toss bread pieces in oil mixture to coat. Spread out on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes.


Bon Apetite!
We did have Jello jigglers and cut out heart shapes too, but they didn't turn out very well and I forgot to take a photo. But we also made Valentine's Day sugar cookies the night before. I iced them and the kids "decorated" -which was basically throwing sprinkles on one cookie each, eating that cookie and then going to play while I was left to decorate the rest. Haha.


Paul thought instead of traditional heart-shaped cookies we should have made them the shape of actual hearts and decorated them to be like Chloe and Hailey's heart defects... too much work, but maybe one year we'll get ambitious (or is creepy a better word...?). All in all it was a fun Valentine's Day. I think I'll keep the tradition alive next year and try to come up with more tasty, heart-shaped foods to wow my kids with.
Happy belated Valentine's Day from my family to yours!














No comments:

Post a Comment