Monday, April 11, 2011

Somewhere Over the Rainbow...How to: Cupcakes



I really wanted to try rainbow cupcakes for St Patty's Day, but I ended up in the hospital with Hailey for last round of chemo on St Patrick's Day so I did them up yesterday.  One of the girls we became friends with at the cancer clinic was finishing up her last round (hopefully!) of chemo today so we took some to her to celebrate.

Ok, so here is the how-to on these fun and fabulous treats:

1.  Mix up your cake batter.  I use Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines (whatever is on sale), but I do a "doctored cake mix" as my mom calls it.  Here is the recipe:

I cake mix
4 eggs
1 c. milk (or 1/3 c water and 2/3 c buttermilk)
1/3 c oil
small package pudding (vanilla for white cake, chocolate for chocolate)

beat it all together and you're done.  Easy as pie... or cake...



2. Divide the batter equally between 6 different containers.  Color each amount a different color of the rainbow (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple)




3. Layer a spoonful of each color into muffin liner cups in this order: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red.  And spread each color as best you can.




4.  Bake as per instructions on cake mix (I think it's about 15-20 mins at 350F for 24 cupcakes).  Remove and cool completely.

5.  Ice with white icing (kind of like the cloud).  I added some sprinkles I had leftover from Valentine's day cookies for fun.  I prefer homemade buttercream, but you could use store bought icing.  I used a cupcake icer tip but you could also just spread it with a knife.

Buttercream Frosting (note: this makes a lot!)
1 1/2 c shortening
1/2 c margarine
1 bag (1 kg) icing sugar (that's powdered sugar for you Americans)
dash salt
2 tsp vanilla
enough milk for consistency you want (add slowly!)







I thought maybe next St Patrick's Day it would be fun to serve these on a plate with chocolate coins or do it like "money cake" where you wrap coins in foil and push it into the cake before you ice it.  then it would be like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!  But right now, they are reminding me of the Wizard of Oz and getting me super excited to go see Wicked in August with my sister-in-law!




Linked up to:

craft


2 comments: