Thursday, August 25, 2011

Foodie Friday #3 -Oriental Chicken and Mexican Black Beans

Welcome to my 3rd Foodie Friday!  Hope you enjoy!

Chicken, Rice and Mexican Black Beans

Well, this week I wanted to try making these Mexican Black Beans over at A Year of Slow Cooking (Crockpot365).  They turned out pretty great -even though I substituted powdered garlic for the real thing.  And for the same amount of work, I got a large batch so I froze the rest in empty yogurt containers for another day.

I decided to do chicken and rice with it (and broccoli, but don't know why it did not make it into the picture).  I used one of my favorite fall-back chicken recipes.  I call it "Wesley's Chicken" because a good friend of mine used to make it all the time during my freshman year at BYU (his name is Wesley, in case you didn't get that). 

Wesley's Oriental Chicken:

for 4 chicken breasts:
1/4 c soy sauce
2 tbsp honey (softened in microwave)
4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic (but I always use powdered garlic)

Combine in bowl.  Marinate chicken in mixture for at least 10 minutes.  Broil on top rack of oven on high for 5-6 minutes.  Flip and broil another 5-6 minutes.  Squirt some honey on each chicken piece.  Broil 1-2 more minutes.  Flip and repeat. 

This marinade is so yummy.  I usually keep the excess and boil it in a pan on the stove for a bit and then use that as a sauce for the rice. 

That was Wednesday's dinner.  Then tonight, because I purposely cooked lots of chicken and rice, I just chopped up some carrots and the leftover broccoli, cubed the leftover chicken and threw it in a wok with some onions and canned corn and a can of cream of mushroom soup (mixed with a little milk) and made a nice stir fry type of dish to serve over the extra rice.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment