Saturday, September 17, 2011

Foodie Friday #6 (sorry it's a day late) -Cinnamon Rolls

Ok, ok.  I know it is NOT Friday, but somehow this week got away from me.  Between my 4-year-old starting preschool, and my baby's 3 different kinds of doctor's appointments this week, I was just too busy (and tired).

This week, I wanted to share my cinnamon bun recipe with you.  I didn't make them this week, but made them a few weeks back for a girl's night I hosted.


First, of course, you need to make the dough.  

Combine 4 Tbsp yeast and 1-2 tsp sugar in 2 c. warm water.  Set aside.

Beat the following, then add yeast mixture.
4 egss
1 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 Tbsp salt
2 c. warm water
4 c. flour

Add 6 more cups of flour (or enough to just barely knead).  Cover with a clean dry towel and let rise twice (I usually do about 30-40 mins first and then 20-30 mins the next time... but it is not going to hurt to go a bit longer or shorter).

You might want to make a half batch -this makes a LOT.  If I make a full batch I usually make buns and cinnamon rolls.

Roll out some dough into a rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick) on a floured surface.  Then either brush with some softened or melted margarine (or butter) or spread it on with a butter knife.  Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch with no butter on ONE long edge.  Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and brown sugar wherever there is butter.  Then roll it, starting with the long edge that has toppings (easiest if this is the edge closest to you).  Make sure to roll it up sort of tight -if it's too loose, they kind of fall apart.  Slice into 1-inch slices.

Now you will need to make the "goop" (topping).  For 1 8-inch square pan you make one batch.  I usually make about 15 rolls (in my 12 by 18 inch pan, so I triple it).

"Goop":
Heat slowly in a saucepan until melted and blended (not grainy)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. margarine
1 Tbsp corn syrup


Pour into your pan.  Spread it around, if necessary, to cover the bottom of pan.  Place your cinnamon roll slices in the "goop", leaving about 1 inch (maybe a bit less) in between.  Cover with towel again and let rise (about 15-30 minutes -until they are big and growing close together).  Then bake 20 minutes at 375 F.  Cool for a few minutes (3-4) then flip pan upside down onto waxed paper.  DO NOT scrape the extra "goop" out of the pan -it gets hard and yucky.  This is the tricky part... go FAST!  So they don't fall in a big heap. 


Wow, that seems like a long post... I would say sorry, but these are super good -it will be worth it!


This post linked up to:
Fall Crawl @ The Artsy Girl Connection

2 comments:

  1. They seem ridiculously delicious! Saw you over at Sarahndipities and the rolls caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome..YUM.. I LOVE IT…Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..Hope you get a sec to stop in & say hello..:)) I have a fall inspired blog party going on and would LOVE for you to link this awesome piece to it today ) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-5-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete