Friday, September 30, 2011

Foodie Friday #8

It started to get a bit chilly in my neck of the woods, so now I am so pumped for fall and winter.  Christmas is my favorite time of year... so I figured I might as well put my excitement for Christmas to good use and.... make sugar cookies?  Not like I need to eat Christmas baking from now until Christmas, but what can I say?  I have a major weakness....

I was a bit lazy though, so instead of making sugar cookies with the cookie cutters and then decorating them, I just chose the easy way out and made my sister-in-law's Drop Sugar Cookies.



2 1/2  c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter or margarine (room temperature)
1 1/2 c sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sour cream

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.  Cream butter, sugar, egg, vanilla in a bowl.  Add 1/2 the flour mixture.  Mix.  Add sour cream.  Mix.  Add remaining flour mixture.  Mix just until smooth.  Drop mounds of dough onto cookie sheets (I line my sheets with parchment paper).  I usually flatten my mounds a bit with my fingers.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Bake until tops are BARELY beginning to brown.  Check after 12-15 minutes.  DO NOT over bake!  You can rotate cookie sheets in the oven so bottoms don't burn, depending on your oven.



Note: The recipe originally used 2 c flour and 1/4 c sour cream but my sister-in-law adjusted it because of the altitude where she lived.  Her version seems to work better for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment