Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Deadly" Halloween Wreath Tutorial: Part 1

 **Updated -also check out Part 2 and Part 3**

I am finally ready to reveal a project I have been working on for quite awhile.  Seems like it took me forever to finish because I have been so busy that I have just done a little bit here and a little bit there.  I have been dying to share it.  Hyped up enough yet?  Haha.  Here it is, my "deadly" Halloween wreath! ...Or at least the first part of it.  Here's what it will look like in the end:


And now on to the spider web portion...

 Start by bending a wire hanger into a circle (roughly -you don't need to get out a compass or anything!)


Then pick up some of this clear, stretchy jewelry cord.  Mine is 0.5 mm and I got it at Michael's (with my 40% off coupon, of course!).  Have I mentioned how much I love NOT paying full price for anything at Michael's?  Anyway, this stuff is kind of tricky to work with since it is (A) clear, (B) slippery, and (C) stretchy ... but it is super cool, especially since it looks similar to a spider web when you are done!

Cut a length of cord (don't make it too long though or it gets tough to tie knots).  Start by tying it on (I started near the top but it really doesn't matter where you start).  You might need a few really good (and TIGHT!) knots before you start.  And then trim off the loose end.  


I made the spokes first.  So bring your cord across the circle and tie it on again.  Then move over a couple inches (or however far apart you want the spokes) and tie it onto the frame again.  Then bring it across to form another spoke.  At this point I decided to tie the spokes together in the center -it just seemed easier that way.  


Repeat until you have the desired number of spokes.  Make sure you are tying those knots good and tight so they don't slip!  I learned the hard way.  You may also want to use a dot of clear glue in between knots to secure them, but I was just to lazy!


 And, not only is it hard to work with, it is hard to photograph (at least for an amateur like me -it is shiny and clear!)


Here's a close-up of the knot in the center.


 Now start at the corner of one spoke and tie a good knot.  Then move your cord to the next spoke and tie another knot.  Then move to the next spoke... you know what a spider web looks like -you get the idea.  Keep tying the cord around in a spiral to make a web.  You might need to experiment with this a bit (and find the best kind of knot for you).  I made some of my strands "crooked" and some straight across since no spider web I have ever seen is perfectly even and symmetrical (if that makes sense). 





Then here is the finished web.

And because it was a bit hard to see, I decided to give it a light coat or two of chrome colored spray paint.

Stay tuned for Part 2 -coming soon! 

5 comments:

  1. SERIOUSLY!!! This is by far and BEYOND the absolute BEST halloween wreath I have EVER SEEN!!! I love literally EVERYTHING about it...(have I expressed enough enthusiasm?!) I'm SO featuring this on my week of halloween final post. You are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever, that you made that with a hanger! I love the spider web effect. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower from Sundae Scoop. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love your wreath! The way you did the web is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I love it! It's so creative and fun and thrifty! I'm your newest follower! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant: love the bones, so looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete