Friday, November 18, 2011

Foodie Friday #15 - Potato Soup in the Crockpot + Bread Bowls


 I stumble upon this fantastic recipe on Pinterest - Baked Potato Soup.  And the best part is you make it in your crockpot!  I know, I currently have a slow cooker fetish.... I love it that I don't have to be cooking dinner from 4-5 while the kids are restless and crazy.  So much better to make it in the morning while they are happy and not fighting, and then just waltz into the kitchen at 5pm and dinner is all ready! 

Anyway, I got ambitious and decided to try out two recipes I got on Pinterest in one shot -so I made bread bowls to go with the soup!  These bread bowls were not my favorite... I am thinking if I attempt bread bowls again I might just use my regular french bread recipe and make small loaves, then cut a hole in the top and scoop out some of the bread -the extras would be great for dipping in the soup too!
Since you would put the soup on first and make bread bowls later, I will give you the low down on the soup first.  I followed the recipe from Mama Loves Food almost exactly, but here is what I did.

I found the recipe from Mama Loves Food, who found the recipe at A Year Of Slow Cooking and adapted it.

Ingredients:
- 5lbs Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, whole
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 16 oz cream cheese (I used 8oz regular and 8oz lowfat)
- 1 TBSP seasoning salt

Garnishes:
- Crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions or chives

Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Remove and puree the garlic cloves along with 1/3rd of the soup, then stir the cream cheese into that 1/3 of the soup you took out.  Allow to melt.  
-  Pour that portion back into the crockpot and stir every 15 minutes until soup is well blended.
- Top with your choice of garnishes & serve!


 I couldn't get a good photo of it in the crockpot... but there is my sad attempt.






And here is the small sized bread bowl with soup that I made for the kidlets.

Paul loved this soup, but I think I like potato soups with cream instead of cream cheese better.  I wonder if this would work basically the same way, just substitute the cream?


I got the bread bowl recipe from Apple Pie, Patis and Pate.
You use Pyrex bowls or ramekins turned upside down to place the dough over to make them bowl-shaped. And then bake.



1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks SO good! There's nothing like a good soup in a bread bowl.

    ReplyDelete