Friday, December 16, 2011

Foodie Friday #19 -Swwet and Sour Meatballs with Rice

 

Sorry this is so late in the day.  I don't know what's up with blogger but apparently when I set it to post at a certain time it forgets... That's the 3rd or 4th time it hasn't posted at the set time.  
Anyway, the other day I made some sweet 'n' sour meatballs with rice.  Yum!  And, I was so proud of myself -I planned ahead!  Yep, you read that right.  Shocking, I know, but true.  I made a double batch of meatballs so I could use the leftovers to have spaghetti and meatballs on a different day without all the work.

So first...
mince the onion....

and garlic.

Take your bread slices and grate them with a fine grater.  I like to use frozen bread because it is so much easier to grate.



Combine your bread crumbs, onion, garlic, parsley, milk, seasoning salt, hot sauce, and pepper in a bowl.




Add the beef and mix well.


Form into balls.  Sorry for the minimal pictures of this step... I didn't want a meaty camera.


Place on a greased pan with sides.


Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes.



Tasty Meatballs (large batch):
2 lbs lean ground beef
4 slices bread (white or brown), processed into crumbs
1/3 -2/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp parsley
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 - 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients except beef into a bowl.  Add beef and mix well.  Roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls.  Put on a greased baking sheet (or pan) with sides.  Bake at 400 F oven for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked.  This makes a lot of meatballs.... but, like I said, I wanted leftovers.

Now the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c flour
1/3 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder

First, put the brown sugar and flour into a pot.  Mix it well, then add the water.  Mix again.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Heat mixture on stove until boiling and thickened.


Pour over hot rice and meatballs.  Alternatively, you can partially cook your meatballs (broil about 5 minutes) and put the partially cooked meatballs and the sauce (after you boil it a few minutes) into a baking pan and cook in the over at about 350F for 30-40 minutes.

And, not only was it delicious, but the kids ate it too!  Success!



3 comments:

  1. Looks great. I'll be making it this week :) Thanks for posting!

    Alison
    www.shessewsmart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. I've got to try making these

    ReplyDelete