Monday, February 20, 2012

Baking Powder Biscuits

Well, first I guess I should maybe apologize for the lack of crafty project posts lately.  I realize I have been doing mostly food posts.

With all the packing going on here getting ready to move, some of my craft supplies are getting packed away.  And I don't want to be doing any big projects that I will have to take in the move.  Because more stuff =more packing.... and more packing =one unhappy Me.  I do NOT like packing -not in the least.  Also, I thought I would try to work through some of our food storage and food from the freezer before the move too (who wants to pack a bunch of food to move?).

With that said... Here is yet ANOTHER recipe post -the Baking Powder Biscuits from my Valentine's post.   I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.  Whenever we make them we go through them FAST -especially if we have strawberry freezer jam or E.D. Smith's triple berry.  Mmm Mmm!




Baking Powder Biscuits 
 (**recipe makes a LOT -about 50**)
 

7 cups flour
8 Tbsp (1/2 cup) sugar
16 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups shortening
2 2/3 cups milk

Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Cut in firm shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture has appearance of fine crumbs.  Add milk, a small amount at a time, to dry mixture.  Stir with a fork or spoon until it forms a ball around the spoon.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a LITTLE (if you knead too much they will be tougher).

Roll out to between 1/2 inch and 1 inch thick.  Cut with a floured cookie cutter (in this case, I used a heart).  Let stand on an ungreased baking sheet for about 10 minutes.

Bake at 425F (on the middle oven rack) for about 10-15 minutes, until LIGHTLY browned around edges.  Cut open to enjoy with butter or jam!



2 comments:

  1. I don't think we have any tasty jams hanging around right now but I am going to make them! They look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show yous some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :)those look so YUMMY

    http://infinitelifefintess.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete