Thursday, February 2, 2012

Foodie Friday #24 - Spinach Chicken Stromboli

We recently tried out the recipe for Spinach Chicken Stromboli from Our Best Bites Cookbook.  I didn't have any Italian seasoning, though, so instead of brushing the dough with olive oil and sprinkling with seasoning, I just brushed it with Italian dressing.  You know me, I'm the Queen of Substitution (yep, that's a real thing.... or it is now).  I've done a stromboli before with chicken and broccoli, but I think this one tops it.  Either use the Breadstick (Pizza Dough) recipe from Our Best Bites, my pizza dough recipe, or your favorite pizza dough.

 (Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites)
Roll it out into a rectangle and brush all over with Italian dressing (leave a little bit around the edge).  

Sprinkle with:
a couple tablespoons parmesan
1 1/2 cups shredded mozza
1 1/2 cups (recipe called for 2 cups) spinach leaves, loosely chopped
shredded cooked chicken (about 2 cups)
2 Roma tomatoes (chopped)

Roll up like you would for cinnamon buns and pinch seam and ends shut..  Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet (I sprayed a piece of aluminum foil and put that on a baking sheet).  Brush top with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan.  Make a few slits in the top with a sharp knife.  Bake in a preheated oven (425F) for 15-20 minutes (or until top is golden brown).  Cool for about 10 minutes and then cut into 1 inch slices.  Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (pizza sauce, marinara, or alfredo).

And because I knew my kids would take one look at it and go "yuck, I'm not eating that," I made extra dough so I could make these...

Which they loved.
I did basically the same thing, but I spread a little butter on the dough instead of dressing.  Then added mozza, diced ham, and diced cooked broccoli.  I sliced the roll BEFORE cooking it and placed each roll in a greased muffin tin.  Then cooked them until the tops were starting to brown and the cheese was bubbly.  We had a bit of trouble with some sticking to the pans, but it was worth it.  The kids gobbled them up!

On another note, the conditions got removed yesterday -we are officially first time home owners!  Yay!  Now I have to go start packing (boo!).  But on the upside, this will give me the kick in the pants I needed to get our stuff organized. haha.  Have a great weekend everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment