Friday, February 17, 2012

Foodie Friday #26 -Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins


Awhile back the grocery store by my house had a TON of bananas on discount (they do that whenever they get a new shipment -they bag up the "old" ones).  I thought "SCORE!" so I bought a few bags and threw them in my freezer.  But since we are moving in a month, I figured it might be the time to do something with them and start emptying my freezer.

I have a banana bread recipe and a banana chocolate chip muffin recipe we like but wanted to try something new.  I thought adding oatmeal would make them healthier.  So I typed Banana Oatmeal Muffins into the search bar on Pinterest and low and behold I found these babies!

Image Source: Babble via Pinterest
Yum!  I wiped away the drool and went to make my own.  I had enough bananas to do a batch and a half, so I changed the recipe below to reflect that. 

First, mash your bananas.  I kind of skipped this step a bit.  I took my bananas out of the freezer and put them in a bowl with warm water until they thawed.  Then opened each one up and squeezed the basically mashed bananas into the bowl.  But I'm lazy, you might not be.  So go ahead and mash your bananas.


Then add the milk and quick oats.  Set that aside.

Cream your margarine/butter and sugar together.  Then add the eggs.

Combine your dry ingredients (minus chocolate chips) in ANOTHER bowl (I know, this is what almost turned me off -3 bowls!? what? but it was worth it).  Then alternately add your banana/oat mixture and your flour mixture to the margarine/sugar mixture.  Stir until combined.

Then add the chocolate chips.  And fill your muffin cups 3/4's full.  Bake at 375F for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.  Remove the muffins to wire racks to cool.  Actually, I found that if you leave them for a couple of minutes in the pan before you try to remove them, they stay together better.  I lost a couple of bottoms taking them out immediately.  Or you could buy muffin liners and not be cheap like me. LOL.  That would solve the problem too.

Once they are cool -or before if you can't wait (but don't burn your tongue!) -cut them open and put some butter on them.  Then scarf them down!  Because THEY. ARE. DELICIOUS!

And the kids loved them too -not like the Banana Cranberry Muffins I made and ended up eating them all because no one else would eat them.  Definitely a keeper.






Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Recipe Adapted from a post on Babble)

3 cups (about 7 large) bananas, mashed
3 cups quick oats, uncooked
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups margarine or butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
6 cups flour
1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2  teaspoon of salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups of chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tins (or line with cupcake wrappers).

Put mashed bananas, oats and milk in a medium bowl.

In a second large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs.

Then, in another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture and the banana mixture alternately to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir until combined.

Spoon the mixture into the cups. Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment