Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dr Seuss menu planner

For anyone who missed my guest post at Adventures In Dinner, here is the menu planner tutorial!  Yay!

I keep seeing weekly menu planners all over Pinterest lately and wanted to make my own version. -Dr Seuss style! Because who doesn't love Dr Seuss, right?

Want to make your own? C'mon. First, pick a picture frame -whatever size, shape, style, color you want. I just used one I bought on clearance forever ago and hadn't used yet. Go ahead and take out the mats and insert.  Use the backing piece (the board that holds the picture and mats in place) as your "canvas."  You will paint the part that would normally be inside the frame.


I used a foam brush, so as not to get lots of brush strokes... and painted it all white (a couple of coats).


Then I searched Google images to find the images that I wanted to use.  I saved them to my computer so I could open them in another program to crop them and play with the sizes to get what I wanted.

Then, very carefully, cut around the pictures you want to use.

Arrange them on your background BEFORE you glue them, so you can get the spacing just the way you like it.
Then glue those babies on there -I used a thin layer of Mod Podge all over the backs and it worked great.

Then I drew some eggs on lightly with a pencil.  After that I just started painting the green parts of the eggs.
When that has had time to dry, go back in with a very fine brush and some black paint to add the shadows and outlines.  I found it helped to have a damp brush and water down the paint just a BIT to make it go on smoothly.  Or if you prefer, use a fine tip Sharpie.


Here they are starting to take shape.
I wrote "Would you eat them here or there?" and added some little hands on sticks (yeah... even though that sounds a bit morbid, I don't really know what else to call them,) like Sam-I-Am holds in the book.

Then wrote the days of the week beside each egg.



Then just put it back in your frame like you normally would, and there you go!  You can use a dry erase marker on it and it wipes off easily.

You may like it, you will see... Try it, try it and you may, try it and you may I say.  Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from adding a little quote in there. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment