Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Bread

Who doesn't love the smell of fresh baked bread? I know I do. Drool.
I have tried several bread recipes before, but a friend gave me this one and I love it to pieces! It's easy and doesn't require any milk or eggs -perfect for a food storage recipe!

 I found this recipe really easy to work with and I never had any trouble substituting some whole wheat flour.  It even cuts fairly well without a TON of crumbs.  Yay!!  Beware, though, the batch makes EIGHT loaves so I usually half it.  Here is the whole recipe:

The Ultimate Bread Recipe:

2 c warm water
2 tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp yeast

20 c. flour (I use 6 c whole wheat, 14 c white)
2 Tbsp salt
1/3 c sugar
3/4 c oil
7 c warm water

Combine the water, sugar and yeast and set aside.  Then add remaining ingredients and knead.  Add more flour as needed.  Let the dough rise twice (approx. 30-45 minutes each time).  Form into loaves and place in greased pans.  Let rise in the pans until they are as "high" as you want.  Then bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.  Let cool.

It's easiest to cut if you put them in bags and wait until the next morning.  Thanks, Heather, for the tip!!  Then I cut all of the loaves, put back into the bags and freeze what I'm not going to use right away.

 My Dad saw this photo and the first thing he notices was the John Deere canisters in the background! Lol.  How very like him.  Anyway, hope you enjoy the recipe -it really is awesome.


Country Momma Cooks

6 comments:

  1. Saw your link on Sugar Bee - I love bread recipes..gotta try this one. I just posted one for One Rise Bread. I thought I initially got it off Mandy's but can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works for you! I checked out the one rise bread recipe you posted -it looks delicious too. Might have to give it a go one of these days too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up this great recipe @CountryMommaCooks link and great party. Hope to see you again tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations this post is being featured @ CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party tonight.......sneak-peek on my Facebook, g+, twitter and pinned on pinterest.
    You are also one of this weeks featured blogs and will have your button placed under my featured blod tab in the side-bar for the next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am freaky for bread so I only noticed the canisters after I read what your Dad saw. lol ! Dad's are GREAT! The canisters are COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dads sure are great. haha. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete