Thursday, May 3, 2012

Foodie Friday #34 - Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute

 I have been (or felt) super busy this week.  I just got called as a counselor in the Primary Presidency in my ward.... and the President JUST had a baby girl (hooray!) so I have been scrambling to come up with Sharing Time and Singing Time lessons/ideas.  And with Paul gone to Youth Conference all of last weekend, well I'm just worn out.  So this week for Foodie Friday I am going to cheap ever-so-slightly....  I just have a kind of follow-up to one of my past recipes. (*Sorry*)

Remember this yummy caramel fondue or ice cream topping?


Well, one secret I didn't share with you was that I didn't use the Sweetened Condensed Milk like the recipe calls for.  *Gasp*  Me?  Use a substitute? Never! (note the sarcasm...).  haha.  I didn't have a can of Eagle Brand Milk in my pantry.  I thought that I did and so I started the recipe.... and, well, I didn't.  So I did the next best thing -I Googled substitutes and found this.

Condensed Milk Substitute:
1 cup instant dry milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
3 tbsp melted butter

It says to blend it all in a blender, BUT I DIDN"T.  Shocking, I know.  I just whisked it really well and used it in the recipe the same as I normally would.  It turned out great -I couldn't even tell the difference.  Not sure how it would compare on it's own, but in this recipe it works!  Yay!

Gotta love SUBSTITUTIONS in baking.  I know I do!  And I'm sure all of you know that by now too -since I tend to substitute or "guess" a lot.

Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend!  I promise to have some more posts lined up for next week. Anyone celebrating Cinco de Mayo?  I didn't get a chance to make a pinata this year, but I plan to STUFF myself with some PULLED PORK ENCHILADAS on Saturday (that to come).  

No comments:

Post a Comment