Saturday, May 19, 2012

Late Foodie Friday -Homemade Ice Cream Cake



Well, we used our new BBQ for the first time today.  And was it ever great!  We've never had a BBQ before but it was sure nice to be able to make dinner OUTSIDE while the kids played in the yard rather than running in and out or trying to coax them inside.

And I scored a sweet deal on a patio set (table and 4 chairs) in pretty good condition for only $30 garage saling today!  I also got some other, less expensive finds.

AND (I know, I know... I'm almost done with my rambling here...) I think I kicked this cold or hay fever -whatever it was!  Hooray!  I am feeling so much better tonight than I was yesterday!  So anyway, consider this a LATE Foodie Friday!  Am I forgiven??  Good -here we go.

I had this craving awhile back.... it just wouldn't go away.  I wanted ICE CREAM CAKE and I wanted it BAD!  But I'm a cheapskate who won't shell out $20 for a DQ icecream cake.  So I made my own!  And it was pretty dang tasty, if I do say so myself -and I DO say so myself!  And perfect timing for this recipe -summer is on it's way!

So here's the scoop (well actually it's closer to a gallon...) on making your own ice cream cake.


You'll need:
1 lb (500g)  Oreo cookies (or generic chocolate sandwich cookies) -that's the BIG package
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, melted
4 Skor bars
1/2 gallon (2 L) chocolate ice cream
1/2 gallon (2 L) vanilla icecream

First, smash up your Oreos.  Then combine the oreos and the butter in a bowl and mix until moistened.  You might have to add a bit more butter.  Take half of the Oreo mixture and press it into a greased (with butter) 9x13 inch pan.

Put a layer of vanilla ice cream over the crust.  You may have to soften your ice cream a bit.  Try to get an even layer.

Smash up the Skor bars.  Add half of the Skor bits to the remaining Oreo mixture.  Sprinkle that all over the vanilla ice cream.  Then add a layer of chocolate ice cream and top with remaining Skor pieces.  I would also consider drizzling it with chocolate sauce but I didn't have any.  Cover and freeze several hours or overnight until firm.


It was even better with homemade Caramel Sauce drizzled on it before serving!  Yep, that caramel fondue recipe has been used now for all sorts of things at my house.  It's great!

If you really wanted it to be more DQ-ish, you could figure out how to make some whipped cream type of frosting and make is in a spring form pan so you could decorate it like they do for DQ cakes.  But I'm good with just this.  The piping gel and frosting are my least favorite parts of DQ ice cream cakes anyway.



Hope everyone has a great long weekend!  Go make some memories and have some fun!






2 comments:

  1. Wow Megan, that looks awesome! I've made ice cream cake before, but never so fancy. I can't wait for an excuse to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI, this was ridiculously good!!! I have an embarrassing admission though, the creepy piped gel stuff is my favourite part of a DQ ice cream cake. I know, what is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete