Thursday, October 4, 2012

Foodie Friday -Butternut Squash Soup


Happy Foodie Friday!  Sorry about the oopsie last week.  I had the Foodie Friday post all scheduled and then Blogger let me down.  It never posted!  Grr.  Don't know why the scheduling never works, I always have to post manually. 

Anyway, folks, as much as I hate to admit it, FALL is finally here.  They were predicting snow a few days ago... which we narrowly escaped! Whew!  I'm still in denial about the snow -mostly because I don't want to walk the kids to school in it on the days hubby has the van.  A second car is looking pretty good about now.  LOL.

But one thing I love about fall is the colorful leaves, Halloween decorations, and..... all the recipes with squash and pumpkins!  So many comfort foods -Warm, cozy soups, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin snickerdoodles, etc.  Yummy!

Today I'm sharing one of my favorite (EASY) soup recipes for Fall -Butternut Squash Soup!  It simple and fast -only takes about 30-40 minutes from start to finish!  And did I mention DELICIOUS?!  It has a great creamy texture and taste with a little kick to it. 


First you saute your chopped onions in some butter.  Then peel your squash (and remove seeds) and cut it in cubes.  Put that in a pot with the onions.  Add water, bouillon cubes, marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.  You bring it all to a boil and cook for 20 minutes (or until squash is tender).  Then cut up the cream cheese and dump it in.  Then blend it with an immersion blender.  Warm it up, but don't boil.  DONE!  Easy as pie! Speaking of pie, that also sounds really good right about now.  I could go for some Lemon Meringue.... sorry, random tangent alert....


The kids weren't too thrilled with it.  It had more of a kick than I had remembered.  I think (since I'm a baby) I would put in less pepper and cayenne pepper, but my husband LOVES it like this so maybe I'll just suck it up.  Either way, it's still pretty darn tasty.  Just so you know, I doubled the recipe.  That fed me and hubby for several meals, plus we made extra to share with an older couple from church who have health issues.  I made some homemade rolls to go with it -MM! MM!  And, of course, I used some of the roll dough to make Gooey Cinnamon Rolls!  Have a great weekend -and Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadian readers! 

Butternut Squash Soup:  

6 Tbsp chopped onions
4 Tbsp butter
6 cups cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (4 oz) package cream cheese

Saute onions in butter, add rest of ingredients (except cream cheese) and bring to a boil.  Cook 20 minutes (or until squash is tender).  Add cream cheese.  Puree with an immersion blender (I did this right in the pot, but removed it from the heat first).  Reheat, but do not boil. 


For Homemade Rolls:

Use the dough recipe from my Cinnamon Rolls post.  Let it rise twice.  Then form into rolls and dip the tops in melted butter.  Place in a greased baking pan.  Cover and let rise again.  Cook at 400 F for 12-18 minutes.  Brush tops with melted butter. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete